James P. S. Leshaw – Resume
Jim is an experienced arbitrator and mediator. He was awarded Miami “Lawyer of the Year” 2016, 2017 and 2018 for Arbitration Miami, “Lawyer of the Year” 2017 for Bankruptcy Litigation by Best Lawyers in America; Listed, “The Best Lawyers in America,” under Mediation, Arbitration, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (every year since 2007) and Litigation (every year since 2007); Listed, “Chambers USA Guide (every year since 2008); Member, Winning Team, U.S. News – “Best Lawyers “Law Firm of the Year” in Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law and Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2013; Listed, “Super Lawyers magazine, “Florida Super Lawyers (every year since 2006); Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Awards for Excellence, Corporate & Finance – Law Firm of the Year (Florida based), 2010; Member, Winning Team, Chambers Latin America Inaugural Awards for Excellence, Focus on Latin America – Law Firm of the Year (Florida based) 2009; Listed, Florida Trend Magazine, “Legal Elite,” Bankruptcy Law (every year since 2004); Listed, The Deal, “Top Bankruptcy M&A Lawyers;” Listed, South Florida Legal Guide, “Top Lawyers in South Florida;” Rated, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.0.
Jim is also experienced in business. Among other things, he is a member of the board of directors of Avianca Holdings S.A. (NYSE: AVH), the Latin American-based Airline, where he serves on Avianca’s serves on Avianca’s Audit Committee, Human Talent and Compensation Committee, and three member Executive Committee.
Described in Chambers and Partners as “a very quick thinker who is able to break down complex problems and efficiently work through collaborative solutions,” as “smart, results-driven, innovative and effective,” as a ”thoughtful, intellectual and practical lawyer,” and as ”extremely knowledgeable” and ”proactive.”
Jim has handled billions of dollars of litigation and transactions relating to mergers, acquisitions, asset purchases, financings, ownership disputes and other domestic and cross-border business relationships across the United States, Latin America, Europe and the Caribbean.
He is a graduate of the New York University School of Law (1989), is admitted to courts throughout Florida and New York, and appears regularly in courts throughout the United States. Jim’s previous employment includes Greenberg Traurig’s Miami office (1991-2013) and Skadden Arps’ New York office (1989-1991).
Jim is on the Roster of Mediators for the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Southern District of Florida, the Southern District of New York and the District of Delaware, and is a member of the AAA panel of arbitrators.
- Chair, Florida Business Reorganization & Financial Restructuring Practice, Greenberg Traurig, Miami, Florida
- Associate, Bankruptcy Department, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, New York
- J.D., New York University School of Law (1989)
- B.A. Political Science and Religion, Tufts University (1986)
- Former Secretary, Member of Flag and Board of Directors, Key Biscayne Yacht Club
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Stiltsville Trust, Inc.
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Marjory Stoneman Doulas Biscayne Nature Center
- Former Youth Sailing Director, Key Biscayne Yacht Club
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Florida Historical Society
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Volvo Ocean Race Miami, Inc.
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Soldiers’ Sailors’, Marines, Coast Guard & Airmen’s’ Club, Inc. (NYC)